A Hidden Treasure in the Heart of Lincoln Park

 

The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus were founded by Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini in 1880 with the purpose to be “bearers of the love of Christ to the world.

Historically, this site was home to St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, a missionary woman religious, who helped shape America’s social and health care system in the early twentieth century, having a profound effect on Chicago. She was devoted to taking care of the poor, immigrants, orphans, women and children. Mother Cabrini lived, worked and died in Chicago, having established 67 institutions of care around the world.  We celebrate her life by providing this spiritual sanctuary at The National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini.

Here in Chicago, the Missionary Sisters’ current missions include work in the areas of education, spiritual formation, worship and pastoral care. There is also outreach to the community and the broader immigrant population. We believe there are not many places where a saint once actually lived, worked and died. The corner of Lakeview and St. James Place in Chicago is a sacred space and holy ground since Mother Cabrini once walked on these streets tending to the physical and spiritual needs of many. The Shrine’s spiritual and pastoral ministry, along with its’ landmark presence, continues the legacy that began on this holy ground over 100 years ago.

Spiritually, It is the only National Shrine dedicated to the first American Citizen Saint, and Patron of Immigrants in the Catholic Church. Visitors come from around the world to visit this spiritual center. Our funding comes from the generosity of our community. 

Mother Cabrini

 

 

Donate Now Silent Auction
Made with Auction & Event Solutions